Community Explorations Program
(LOCAL COMMUNITY ONLY)
Not all classrooms have four walls! In fact, I would argue that perhaps some of the best classrooms don’t have walls at all! A main component of the Community Explorations Program is getting out in our community to explore. We let nature be the teacher by giving space for what we have read about in books to come to life through the senses through nature study, observation, classification, identification, hands on explorations and nature notebooking in our Nature Explorations class! We listen and explore stories and cultures through music and storytelling. We seek to foster community and fellowship through field trips and community service opportunities. We share in some truth, goodness and beauty together in our community-wide Tea Time as we practice etiquette and protocol while enjoying tea and special treats. Lastly, parents will have the opportunity to gather weekly one evening a week online for mentorship, growth, connection and fellowship!
- NATURE EXPLORATIONS: a weekly teacher led nature class on Fridays from 9-12 PM (Term 1, 2, and 5)
- We meet at various locations locally, but usually within 30 minutes from the Amherst area.
- This year we will be studying Insects, Birds, Rock, Weather and Clouds, and Wilderness Survival
- Nature Prompts to complete in your home will be provided for Term 3. (Families are encouraged to participate in a ski program this term.)
- MUSIC AND STORYTELLING: a weekly teacher led class interweaving books, stories and music explorations on Fridays from 9-12 PM (Term 4)
- Location: Artspace, 15 Mill Street Greenfield, MA
- This year we will be studying Folklore and Music in Ancient Civilizations.
- FIELD TRIP / COMMUNITY SERVICE: one opportunity per term (additional costs to participate are the responsibility of the family)
- TEA TIME: teacher led in community locally, usually outdoors.
- PARENT MENTORSHIP: access to the weekly evening Parent Scholé Zoom call for parents to connect, share and grow alongside one another.
- Thursdays, 8- 9:30 PM (EST) on ZOOM